468x60 Ads

Non-linear JRPGs Vs Non-linear WRPGs

It has come to this. The only way to fight overwhelming ignorance is to show them the truth.

I have spent the past few hours listing every non-linear Japanese computer RPG I can think of. You can find the list here.

I have also started a list of non-linear "Western" computer RPGs but it is hardly complete and my gut tells me I'm missing a bunch. You can find that list here.

The lists are both incomplete (I know about a lot of games but I can't always recall every single one of them and I surely don't know about every CRPG that has ever been made) but already people who have been negatively commenting on my video should be able to see how absolutely wrong they are about "JRPGs" being games that have 100% linear narratives.

What they appear to be missing from my argument is that I'm correct because I know what I'm talking about.

I do not spam the internet with opinions I haven't verified against the facts like many other people are doing.


"What is popular is not always right and what is right is not always popular."

I was able to list over 80 Japanese made computer RPGs that have non-linear narratives and that's just those games I was able to recall tonight. I am willing to bet dollars to donuts this small portion of games is way more than my detractors thought existed at all.

Please note that I defined what non-linear computer RPGs are in a previous blog, so if you're wondering how I'm determining whether a game is linear or non-linear, check that blog post out.

A summary;

Dynamic non-linear: The rarest type of non-linear narrative model. The player makes choices during gameplay that shape the game's narrative in a meaningful and critical ways so as to substantially change the direction of the game's narrative. There are either no or very few milestone events that the player "must" clear in order for the narrative to advance. The game offers a large number of narrative routes the player can choose to bypass and that will not prevent the narrative from moving forward (an example: Romancing SaGa: MS)


Static non-linear: The most common type of non-linear model. The choices made by the player do not alter the narrative in significant ways and the narrative generally travels in a single direction with few deviations. This kind of non-linear narrative is built around "milestone" events which HAVE to be passed through regardless of what "route" the player takes. The game's narrative cannot move forward if these milestones are not cleared. (an example: Persona 4)


But read the blog post I made on the topic, I've included images to better express the narrative model these games use.

I'll continue to update this list. If you know of a game that ought to be in the list let me know via Youtube or by commenting on this blog. I will check the game out and if it deserves to be listed I will update the page.

0 comments:

Post a Comment